Rob,

Nice to see you, first of all! There is the matter of perspective, with that perspective being pulled from The Tubes. "What Do You Want From Life"? People need to be happy. If playing in a band that does cover music to evoke that response from the crowd is what makes you happy, god bless you and work to be the best cover band you can be. I just got to where if I have to play music I don't like, I'd rather not play. How would it look for a band to be on stage with 4 people smiling and one looking like his appendix just burst because he hates having to play Margaritaville and that stupid Cheeseburger song AGAIN because one drunk at the bar wants to hear it?

If I can't write well enough to make people enjoy my songs, then I need to keep working on my writing until I can. I am not going to play "lowest common denominator" music ever again.

Remember, standard disclaimers apply. This is just what I think and how I feel. I have "that list" on paper in my studio of songs I refuse to play. Ever. That list contains about 75% of every band in town's set list. I went to rehearse with a band about 6 weeks ago. The sound wasn't god awful, but looking down the list...... nope. Their song list literally looked like they went out one weekend and heard 10 bands play and whatever was common to all 10, they put on their list. If I was forced to play covers, they would be THE most difficult material I could find, all DEEPLY based in harmony singing. So right off the bat, I need at least 4 people who can sing. With the general lazy attitude of most of the local players here, nobody sings anymore. I can't tell you the last copy band I saw where anybody but the front guy sang. Usually 2 of the other people have mics, but they are for show. We all remember The Tubes, right? Think about their songs Don't Want To Wait Anymore and Love's A Mystery. If you don't remember them, look them up on youtube. THAT is how singing is supposed to sound, and if I am building a band, that's how the singing will be.

Notice that I am not in a band..... LOL!!!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.