Yes, the live music industry is in a definite slump, and the open mic clubs are taking away some of the business we have left.

I went into the yacht club, country club, retirement community, private party end of the business and although it has also been hit, it hasn't been hit as hard as the restaurant/night club end of our biz.

Exception: We do play one "club" once a week and We're in our 7th year. It pays OK, but not great, but it's steady and it gives us a place for prospective party people to come hear us.

The problem is, live music isn't as important to the younger generation as it was when I was young.

Add to that TV now takes a big share of our market.

TV?

When I was younger, TV had a few channels, grainy picture, and very tinny, low bandwidth, midrange sound. If you wanted to see a band, you had go go out.

Now we have hundreds of channels, Giand sized Ultra HD screens, 7.1 surround sound, and a cable or satellite bill that can easily top $300/month - there goes the entertainment budget right there.

IMHO the band should hold the audience, not be the draw. Any following the band has should be seen as an extra to the club owner. But of course, many club owners don't agree.

But in my end of the business, there is a party, or it's a private club. People are coming because either they've been invited or it's their club. Our job is the same, entertain them while they are there. Give them a good time so that they want to come back.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks