I live a mile from the Hermosa Beach Pier. It's wall to wall bars including the once world famous Lighthouse. There used to be live music from singles to bands all over the beach from Hermosa down to the Redondo Pier.

I'm a UFC fan and I'll go to wichever one of the bars is showing the pay per view events. With dinner, parking and a couple of beers it's about half of the PPV cost at home.

Since I'm there already I will walk around and check out the various places. All those bars are sports bars with big screens and a couple have a DJ but most don't. Here's the rub, those bars are packed on a Saturday night with a line up outside to get in. The Lighthouse is the only live music venue on the pier and it has been at the most 75% full, no line to get in. The contrast to the other bars just a 100 feet away was stark. Those places are jumping while the Lighthouse looks dead from the walk street. Two weeks ago they had a DJ. A DJ in the Lighthouse! Even that wasn't working. I stuck my head in the door at about 10PM and it was maybe two thirds full. Maybe it's a late crowd but I think I know the reason, the decor hasn't changed since WW2 while the other places are basically brand new. 25 years ago I was in a 7 piece horn band rocking the Lighthouse twice a month on Saturday nights.

I've noticed this for over a year now. I hate to say it but the Lighthouse needs a Bar Rescue and if that were to happen, that would be the end of live music there because it's not big enough to turn into a live music showcase venue. I hear the same family still owns it but they've got to be losing big.

The only thing I can say is at Baja Sharkee's where I saw the fights, the crowd was under 30, SRO, they were very nice well behaved young people who were having lots of fun. They didn't need no stinkin band or even dancing. The only DJ'ing going on were comments over a PA on either the fights, the football game or drink specials.

Financially I have to admit it's a good business model for the owners. There's no need or room for a band.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.