Originally Posted By: GHinCH

They are both, musicians and technicians.

1. Musicians: They use THEIR version of Band-in-a-Box with RealTracks. They know what their RealTracks play, and how, and how fast.

I respectfully disagree. Almost everyone either plays an instrument(s) - a musician - or writes lyrics - a song writer - or sings - another musician.

If one just mixes and matches RTs then they are a talented DJ IMHO.

2. Technicians: Most of the real life musicians are also technicians.
  • Almost nobody started in a band having a bunch of roadies and an FOH-mixing guy. We all, at lest the vast majority of us, had to set-up our equipment by ourselves, tune the instrument where applicable, connect the equipment...

I agree

• Each and everybody of us had to learn scales, chords, and the connection of both; chops and licks and entire tunes to play.

• Again these are musicians

I don't say I like that, but drawing crowds of 5 to 6 digits for several hours per set is at least impressive.
    And, they improvise, they communicate with the masses, ...
    Per se they are not much different than a marching band playing for the 684th time "Seventysix Trombones" using the same arrangement or a Dixieland band playing their "'s Tight Like That" or the club dance band reiterating "Country Roads" for the two-steppers.

Again I will disagree using my previous musician DJ comparisons.

It's all about what the customer wants.
    It's all about that bass, no treble bills, no coins in the pocket of the organizer.

Unfortunately this is true!

You know you're getting old when a recliner and a heating pad is your idea of a hot date!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware