Originally Posted By: Lloyd S

He may not know a guitar from a sitar but is he any less a "person who makes music" than I?

Once again, standard disclaimer: IN MY OPINION....

There is a difference in my mind between a musician and someone who knows how to play an instrument, even many instruments.

Musicians CREATE music. Players PLAY music.

Musicians know MUSIC. Players know SONGS. SONGS written by MUSICIANS.

There are a bazillion copy band players out there who play MUCH better than I ever did. I still do not consider them to be MUSICIANS if they lack the ability to compose and convey their own musical thoughts. I apply that across the board. The same concept applies to a PAINTER vs an ARTIST, a COOK and a CHEF, a BUILDER and an ARCHITECT.

The artist creates a piece of are. Painters copy it. A chef creates recipes. A cook duplicates those recipes. An architect designs a building. A builder constructs it.

Someone playing CDs or vinyl albums of other people's creations is not a musician.
Once again... IN MY OPINION.

I just don't like or want to ever again play copy music. I will never put another composer's song on a CD. If I can't write 11 decent songs, I should quit. I have about 25 done, and about 10 more in the hopper. If a DJ wants to use any of my songs, as long as I get my BMI mechanicals for any airplay or my ASCAP royalties for live use, he is welcome to them.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.