Originally Posted By: Joe V
Sometimes, my wife and I get into very long, long 'debates', only to find out we pretty much largely agree on the thing we wasted our time debating.

Wives (all 3 of mine, anyway) don't debate. They dictate.

This is all just about how I describe my version of who is a musician and who is an instrument player. If I was debating with me, I would point out that the person to whom I continue to assign "musician" should actually be called "composer". Many of us here (I raise my hand first and high) use Real Band as our composing tool because it writes and plays the backing tracks. The upcoming CD is 90% Real Band tracks with 10% supporting parts performed live. So by my own definition, I am mostly composer and only 10% musician.

I get what you are all saying. My issue is more with people who play their copy music and never even try to write music using the old party line "Nobody wants to hear originals." I disagree. Nobody wants to hear BAD originals. Write good songs and people will accept them. There are quite a few artists near me who play mostly original music and they work a lot. When people choose to play covers they are in a different group who CAN write but choose not to. I could play covers too if I cared about money. I choose not to. I would honestly rather not play than play covers, and because of that I do not play.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.