The SoundBlaster Live card used soundfonts to create its sounds. By default, it loaded with a 2MB soundfont, but it had a 4MB and an 8MB soundfont available. Most folks I know immediately substituted the 2MB for the 8MB, since it sounded that much better.

You might want to try using a soundfont enabled VSTi (such as SynthFont) and get a copy of the Creative SoundBlaster soundfonts, although there are other better non-Creative GM soundfonts I like better). Then see if maybe it renders closer to what you remember.

The issue isn't the version of BIAB you are using, it's the sound source you are using. The sound you are hearing is probably just the Microsoft WAVTable soundset, which will make sounds, but doesn't sound very good.

Around 2000, BIAB also implemented the VSC Sound Canvas, which may also be what you remember. The VSC doesn't work on 64-bit operating systems. So, alternately, you might just want to consider a completely new softsynth sound source. For example, there is the TTS-1 that comes with Cakewalk products - you could buy Cakewalk Music Creator ($39), another DAW, and get the TTS-1 along with it). It isn't exactly like the old Roland VSC, but it is very similar.

There is also the Coyote Forte DX ($40), which gives much better sounds than the default Windows soundset.

Both Music Creator and Coyote Forte are available from the PGMusic website store.

Just some thoughts.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com