90 dB, I think that ol' Igor, iconoclast that he was, would approve. There were riots after its premiere, but "The Rites Of Spring" is still being played and appreciated for the groundbreaking work that it is. Now the baton is being passed, and some of us old farts are sneering at the new kids.

I have to repeat this for those who have not read the entire discussion. The term "DJ" has two meanings now. The first is the one we are all familiar with: Someone who plays vinyl, disks, or audio files for the entertainment of others, often at dances. However skillfully they do it, it is simple playback of prerecorded material. NO ONE IS SUGGESTING THAT THESE PEOPLE ARE MUSICIANS.

I think it is unfortunate that the term has been applied to a new group of performers who use electronics and digital media to do their thing. If another term had been chosen we might not be having this discussion. In any case, this second group of "DJs" select from samples, loops, pads, synthesizers, and other sound generators (just as we would select notes on a piano, saxophone, guitar, or any other instrument) to create "organized sound,"* or *music* which did not exist before. Again, read my previous posts to flesh this out.

Re: Organized sound: I have accepted this term as a definition of music from Frank Zappa, who borrowed it from a mentor/20th-century classical composer. Youse can look it up. wink

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."