Most vocals sound better when they're not overly processed.

Use a good condenser mic, a bit of reverb, a tad of compression, some gentle EQ to bring out the best characteristics as well as to clean up the mud, and set the level properly and you should be good.

That's essentially 3 plugs. verb, compression and EQ. That's what's in 95% of my vox tracks. Unless the song specifically needs echo or something else for a special effect, don't use it. Always, always use the best condenser mic you can get. If you are on limited funds and only have a dynamic mic, use it. But keep in mind, the mic is the beginning of everything you will do with a vocal. If the mic can't capture the nuances of a vocal performance, no FX will ever be able to re-create that with software.

The problems start when folks don't get a good recording to start with and then don't use those 3 things properly, start obsessing over the track, and try to "fix" it with other plugs.

For what it's worth.... the song you linked sounds like it has a decent vocal track. I didn't hear anything that stood out as a glaring issue. Keep working on the 3 plugs and use a decent mic and your vocal trackings will keep improving as time goes by.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/18/15 01:36 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.