I think it's safe to say that most musicians have a ton of money in gear and other related things.

Yes... if you have the money to spend, and can afford to do so, then certainly, do what you wish.

One thing I will say about TAXI and NSAI and any other similar company/organization.... if nothing else comes from them, and you apply yourself and avail yourself of the opportunity to learn and study, and attend their events, you can not help but become a better writer.

Perhaps you will never attain a gold record on the wall or have your music playing in TV shows, but you can enjoy the satisfaction of practicing your craft at a higher level.

What person, who starts to sketch and paint or play golf, or ski, as a hobby, wants to remain at the beginner levels? Yet I have known a large number of musician/songwriters who are the very embodiment of staying on the bunny slopes at the ski lodge. They say I write what I write and it comes from the heart and that's good enough for me. OK, I can understand that but hey.... there's always room to improve and do it better.

If there's one thing I have learned from both of these songwriting organizations, it is this..... REWRITE THE SONG. Rewriting was mentioned above in another post..... That is one of the best ways to improve a song. However, when I make that suggestion to many writers, I get a lot of grief, not only from the writer but also from his/her friends defending the first shaky draft as a "great song". It has happened in other forums and it's happened here. I hesitate now to mention to someone they should re-write the song or even just a part of it because very few people will say in reply...... yeah... that's a good idea.... and actually do it. I can count on one hand those who have taken that advice over the years. The majority will either defend the first draft or say they are too busy and that they will do that on the next tune..... and so it goes. They continue to write "first draft" songs, hoping for something to change for the better. Rewriting is hard work.

Enjoy the hobby, but take the time to study your craft and make yourself better by improving your skill set. Be willing to do the hard work.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.