Originally Posted By: 90 dB
I've never lost a job because I couldn't read sheet music.

You may have never lost one, as in "been fired from", but how many do you not get considered for, things like Wrecking Crew type studio work, because you can't? That was the point. You crossed several of my thoughts to get to that conclusion of elitism.

Those 3 chord oldies players probably all play better than I do. (That in itself is not that hard to do.) But will they get a call from musicians local 4 because Lever Brothers or Purina or Pillsbury has a new ad campaign and they need a studio band to play the music for the commercials if they can't read the sheet music? (Disclaimer: I only got one of those calls in my life, and that was in 1991. Made $400 for 3 hours studio time, 40 minutes actual work, to do some sound effects on a synthesizer.) That was what I wanted to be when I grew up. Unfortunately I am not good enough to be that. Those same 3 chord oldies players may love what they do to pieces. God bless them for finding what makes them happy. I want to write hits that get blasted on every radio station in the free world. That would make me happy. It's not the same skill set. I am also realistic enough to grasp the concept that it isn't going to happen, but I'll keep trying. I have no idea whatsoever about how I get the real people to hear my writing, and if it costs money I won't do it. (AADD, anal retentive, OCD, AND cheap!!!)

My best music days are behind me, and I accept that. However, what I know about music, the theory and such, I don't have to give that back. I get to keep all of that. Retiree carpenters still know how to make good rabbet joints even if they don't build furniture anymore.

Elitism? I think not. Just a skill set I was taught at an early age.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.