There used to be a very nice studio here in the Fort Pierce FL area. (There are a little more than 40k people in the city and there are some neighboring communities.) I got a lot of work because I could read music. I also got work because I have good ears.

The owner/engineer had a stroke and closed the studio. I miss it.

If you have both skills, you will be a better musician and have more opportunities.

Whenever a thread like this opens up, there are some who get defensive about their lack of ability to read music. There are also posts that dis people that can only read music and not play by ear.

If you feel inferior because you don't read music, instead of defending your position, learn to read. If you are not bothered by your inability to read music, there's no problem.

There have been a lot and still are some illiterate people who can speak their native language well. But by not learning how to read and write, they are handicapped in a literate society.

No, reading music and learning at least basic music theory are not requirements to be a pro musician. But they are important tools for any musician to have, pro or amateur.

IMHO it's not an either/or situation. If you are serious about your instrument, learn to do both. If you are not that serious about it, don't worry about it, but please don't dis those who do, and don't try to defend your position. It's OK. We all have different levels of commitment.

For me, music is a lifetime of learning. If I could live to be 200 years old, there would still be things to learn about music. But that's me. It's not for everyone.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks