Originally Posted By: lambada
Peter, please, please, please give us something to automatically change midi control commands to external patches in an upgrade. I'm losing the plot trying to stamp on my Niva Multieffects pedal and/or my Voicelive 2 etc. I'd give up wave files and use BIAB live for that. I have no issues with it live (rock steady) since I upgraded my PC hardware. I can't see what my feet are doing, given my stomach and I can't stop playing to press the buttons with my hands - although I keep trying. grin Streetjelly already has me tying to talk, type, sing, play, jiggle to backing tracks.... but please not tap dancing. cry

This is already possible in both BIAB and RealBand by using the Piano Roll. You can use it to send pretty much ANY kind of MIDI control to external devices... patch changes, volume changes, etc, whatever MIDI control your device allows.

Here's a Very quick overview... if you have more questions, PM me.

1) Piano roll has an upper and lower pane. The upper pane is usually used for MIDI notes while the lower pane is used for assigning values (like volume, velocity, etc) that define the MIDI note... but it can also be used to assign value to Continuous Controllers and patch change commands.

2) in the same way that a note gets played wherever it appears on the piano roll timeline, a continuous controller or patch change command gets executed at the point on the time line where its value is assigned.

3) you can send different data to different MIDI channels. In the graphic, note that there is a place at the top of piano roll to pick which channel to send to. This must match the channel to which your device is set to receive.

4) Once you pick the MIDI channel, then you pick what kind of command to send: a CONTROL (continuous controller), PROGRAM (patch change) etc

5) if you pick CONTROL, another list box will appear so you can pick WHICH CC to send

6) once you've picked the CC, you must assign it a value. Do that by clicking in the lower pane (which is incremented from 0-127) at the location on the time line where you want the event to execute. Then when the song gets to that point, it will send the data you defined to the MIDI channel you defined

example:
Lets say you want to send a value of 64 to CC#7 on Midi channel 7

see graphic to locate where MIDI channel, CC and CC number are selected.
The value goes in the lower pane. Since the pane is incremented from 0-127 (bottom being 0 and top being 127) a value of 64 would be in the middle.

You don't have to guess at it... when you hover the mouse cursor over the line you made when clicking in the lower pane, it should show the value.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
piano roll.png (73.24 KB, 270 downloads)