Originally Posted By: raymb1
Is anyone familiar enough with the BIAB OS to guess at what may be presenting problems that prevent BIAB from implementing 8th note resolution? Ray

I'm not sure, but when BIAB was invented, it was given a file structure. Back then memory was expensive, a MB was about a grand. I have not yet looked at the file structure, I'm sure with the right tools I could figure out what is what and where and in which size.

I just believe that the four beat per measure resolution is written into the file structure. That is two bits of information, eight beats would be three bits of information. Some of our wishes seem to turn everything in the file structure topsy turvy like more than 256 measures (eight bits of information)(, more than eight.three digits for style names, etc. The file structure seems very rigid, as it was state of the art in the 1980s. I bet, there is much more information that could be expanded to make a lot of things more flexible.

At the same time, PGMusic needs to make sure that old files are still recognised, be read and played and could be saved that way.

Last edited by GHinCH; 03/23/16 01:24 PM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build