Hi Carolyne!
Lovely song with a beautiful and uplifting message!

I feel your frustration of being a professional singer who struggles finding a comfort level with singing harmony... but I actually think that's fairly common. Speaking as a guitar player, it occurred to me a long time ago that the skills required for playing rock solid rhythm guitar and the skills required for playing lead are totally different. Most of the good lead players I know are just awful at playing rhythm, and vice versa.

So, begin with the realization that singing harmonies is a whole different thing than singing lead. When singing lead, your style is to delay and rush the syllables for artistic effect.. (which I love, by the way)... but the backup singers dare not exercise such freedom. They need to hold the cadence of the song ..as they are, in effect, part of the rhythm section.

I think that what people are objecting to here is not that the backing vocals are out of key or out of time, but rather that they are singing like the lead singer. With different singers all exercising stylized liberty, it gets confusing.

Its kind of like decorating a room. If the background is neutral, you have liberty to use bold accent colors... but if everything in the room is as bold as the accents, it overwhelms the senses. By analogy, your singing style is bold and colorful, so the BGV need to be neutral.

In summary, I think your BGV singing is wonderful in terms of pitch and quality.. but when singing the BGV, consider adopting a less expressive style. Simpler. Not as fancy.

I love your songs, and I sincerely hope this does not sound like criticism! I mean it only as an observation and observations can be totally wrong! I submit it for your consideration, and if it doesn't resonate with you, just reject it and think "boy, that Pat character sure is wrong!" ;-)