Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this Pat. For the most part, the thundering silence in response to this piece has said it all. I knew something was wrong because I’m listening to it, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I kept trying to fix either the pitch or harmonies. You gave me my Ah-ha moment.

To my way of thinking, there are two types of background singers. The first is strictly background doing the typical Oohs and aahs, singing primarily from ear in a manner that complements the lead. The other is harmony which is not a background singer per se, as the oohs and aahs. Rather, they sing in unison with the lead, but singing specific notes, usually written, without duplicating the lead's notes. For instance, if the chord is C Maj, I would sing the C, another voice would sing the E, and a third would sing the G, thus a perfect C Maj triad vocally. However, you are dead right. If I do that (correctly) I’m going to have to sing it straight without my typical expression that very often I don’t even realize I’m doing. Also, in the case of Pray It Forward, I then added the Ooohs and Aaahs to end up with a big pot of musical goulash.

So back to the drawing board. Big, big kudos to you, Guenter, and Trygve for keeping me honest. I get everyone wants to be encouraging without hurting anyone else's feelings. The beauty of being associated with a forum like this is we are all vested in being the best we can. Hearing honest constructive criticism about what others hear in what we perform, allows us to improve and be successful. I truly appreciate it. I’m going to pull the song down for now and do some reharm, or at least try.

Take care,
-Carolyne

Last edited by Carolyne; 04/11/16 09:12 AM.