Originally Posted By: jford
But JohnJohnJohn, when you create a User Track, you are really just creating a song (using a defined chord progression in an SGU file), which results in a rendered WAV file. It's the exact same process you would use to create any other song that might use a sound library, and you then are legally allowed to use IK's sounds in your own songs that you potentially make money from. If you couldn't do it with User Tracks, then I would think you wouldn't be able to use SampleTank to create and sell your own BIAB songs, because they're both the same thing, really.

The only difference is that the User Tracks resultant "song" gets sliced and diced in a different order than you originally created it. But since you released the user track, then you are the one that needs to be okay with that, not IK (since you used the IK sounds for their intended purpose in the first place).

jford,

No, in making a UserTrack you never created a song! Neither in your intent nor your actions (not "you" personally but the universal you!)

Instead, you followed PG's instructions for mechanically/methodically recording a chord sequence for the sole purpose of converting the samples from IK format to UserTrack format so that the instrument samples can then be used by others to create their own songs! HUGE difference from actually writing a song!

And I certainly get that part of the conversion process involves you creating a pattern or strum and that is what gets sliced up but the underlying samples, the sounds themselves, are from another sample library. Your only contribution is the pattern or strum.

If I followed your logic it would be OK for PG (or any one of us) to buy a single copy of SampleTank, convert all of their samples to UserTrack libraries and then sell that as a brand new expansion product for BIAB! Surely you see that IK would not permit that!

I remain convinced that creating a UserTrack from a licensed sample library and then distributing that UserTrack is probably not allowed under current licenses!