If you're playing gigs, you do NOT need an audio interface. The lappy sound card is often sufficient and sounds good enough if you're using wave files. Interfaces would work OK in the field, but won't give you any particular sound quality advantage. Reserve them to the studio for multitrack recording.

A good laptop with some sort of music software that lets you set up sets, and quickly pull up requested songs is all you need. Run the lappy direct to the PA and have fun.

Remember, on a gig, simple works best. The more complicated you make it the more likely you are to have problems.

Use WAVE files for the best quality.

Heck I would simply take the projects in BB and render them to a WAVE missing the parts you intend to play live. I hear some folks who do use BB live, and that's an option, but if you render the waves, that's one less program running to cause issues.

I have a buddy who does that sort of thing for a side job. Plays music on the weekends. He runs TWO identical laptops. Both are booted up and programs running. If one glitches out and crashes, he can switch to the backup in a few seconds and the show goes on.... while the other one gets rebooted. He uses MP3 files.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 07/07/16 05:05 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.