A month prior to the Olympics, NBC announced their affiliate stations were permitted to broadcast ALL of NBC's Olympic coverage on secondary channels. Concurrently, ChannelMaster reported a sales boost of 1200% for outside antennas to receive over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts so obviously many people want to watch sports for free.

In 2006 I spent about $200 for over the air antenna components and my wife and I assembled and erected the 30 feet high antenna system. During NFL football season I can watch OTA games in three markets (Carolina Panthers, Washington Redskins or Atlanta Falcons). Without using the rotor my system receives about 27 secondary channels; using the rotor that number rises to over 50.

My satellite provider, DISH, had a receiver that include space for an optional, built-in over-the-air tuner. The over-the-air channels are intermingled with the satellite channels so secondary channels can be selected as well as satellite channels. Unfortunately DISH's program listings do not include OTA secondary channels. DISH is having a contract dispute with Tribune Broadcasting so DISH is not rebroadcasting the FOX network affiliate. That dispute does not affect my ability to receive the station over-the-air.

Free over the air broadcasts is alive and well for those willing to invest in an antenna system. My experience is an antenna system is well worth the investment.

Unfortunately, the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) appears to be intent on eliminating or minimizing over the air broadcasts. The frequency spectrum space for UHF channels 50 to 75 has been reallocated from broadcasters and is being sold by auction for other uses. The FCC has issued an advisary notice that it is evaluating reallocating the frequency spectrum space allocated for channels 36 to 50.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home