I am a bit late noticing this thread. I guess that is because I am using BIAB more because I am organizing jams with this product and it is becoming more important that BIAB gets it correct.

Regarding this problem in BIAB 2012 I have heard real track chords that do not sound good at all so it is kind of nice to see this thread and know it was not just me. In fact they sound so bad that the midi is far better. Not only that the program generated it consistently (not random). In the end I just switched it back to midi but that was because I was just using the program to practice and I did not care if I heard real instruments. Now that I am aware that it might just be the program and not me maybe I can help if it happens to me again. On the positive side, I have not heard anything yet in BIAB 2016 I don't like. Maybe these problems are solved. However I have been busy writing a web based software to organize the jams and it is finished now. Today is the day I start to use BIAB more often. In the mean time I have some programmer type of thoughts.

Being a programmer if I was knowledgeable of the BIAB program I would create a feature which is a simple button click to save the generated file as well as the original file to some work area and automatically ship it off for inspection by the tech people. This is the kind of effort that solves these types of problems more efficiently. However it might be that this should be restricted to somewhere on the page that shows the actual notes of the chord so people who do not have the ability to hear and know exactly what the wrong chord is can tell it is the wrong chord by the notes being shown on the staff. So (assuming these notes on the staff are actually the notes being played) the program should be able to find this problem itself (a self debugging feature and programming department managers love this). The way I see it if the programmers are able to create a program like this they certainly are able to create such a self debugging feature (maybe a feature that is run before the program gets shipped out). It may not be that easy to do this but I think it is an investment that would pay off for them in the long run. This idea is basically a variant on the verification feature you see in many file backup programs. It does not find the actual bug in the code but it finds the problem it created and certainly helps create more effort to find the solution. However if the notes being shown match the chords the person entered and only the sound is wrong then this makes it more difficult (I am thinking the tech people need to be able to hear that the chord is the wrong chord). So in this case for anyone sending the details of this problem out to the tech people it would make sense to take some screen shots of these notes indicating the exact bars where the problem is. Actually, even if the notes on the page do match the chords that the user entered maybe they can still write a program to compared the input and generated output files automatically. I could be wrong but I understand there is very expensive software that can figure out the exact notes of a chord being played.

Last edited by bowlesj; 08/26/16 01:41 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles