Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Thanks for the interesting responses everyone. It seems that everyone here does it for the joy of producing by their art. It is inside them and they have to. Notes also makes a living out of it and John draws a salary.

I suppose for me, I am a little like Charlie in that I don't need the money (but a little bit of fame might be nice :D). I am probably just letting everything bubble out of me (as Keith said) and who knows one day I might just win the lottery. And I guess all the things I am doing is just buying more lottery tickets.

When Don McLean was asked what the song "American Pie" meant he apparently replied that it meant that he never has to work again.

Yea, the love of the music is it for me from as far back as I can remember. It's certainly never been about money, although I have made some reasonably good money when I was doing pro gigs. I also love the technical aspects of recording; arranging, playing, tracking, mixing, and mastering. I was the only kid in my HS with a sound on sound reel-to-reel recorder back in the late 60's.

These days if you're in it for the money, I'm afraid that part of it is pretty much over. The digital era makes it easy to record, but also easy to steal. When a band like Lady Antebellum gets 62 million plays on the web of "Need You Now" and only earns $1,200 in royalties, what chance do the rest of us have? I guess my "lotto ticket" goal now is to get someone "famous" to "cover" one of my songs. No money, but a lot of bragging rights, eh? cool