My brother-in-law is a trumpet player who does 'club date' gigs. Although he often works with the same musicians, not only do they rotate among the pool of musicians, but they often play with other club date musicians for the first time.

This is not the 45 rock set, but more the light to moderate jazz / standards gig.

They all seem to know the same songs, in the standard keys, and if a singer comes along, the leader puts up or down fingers according to how many sharps or flats the singer wants to sing in.

You would think this is a recipe for a train wreck, or a sloppy, loose gig, but they sound tight and even to this musician's ears, they sound like they have rehearsed.

Of course, this is what they do for a living, so they know all the standard cues for 'arrangements while you play' and have a good knowledge of the material they are playing.

I've hired my brother-in-law to sit in with us when we need another body, and he is on top of everything as we play and rarely makes a minor mistake, and when he does, he recovers almost instantly (with zero rehearsals).

I've never done the 'club date' end of the business, and have no desire to start, but my brother-in-law thrives there.

And he plays music for the same reasons that I do, for the enjoyment of it. The money is necessary to pay the bills, but the playing is bliss.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks