I might have told this one before but I don't recall..... a different church several years later. This was an orchestra and anyone who could halfway play was welcome. everyone volunteered their time and talents. A new Music Minister (MM) took over and actively attempted to build the orchestra. A drummer joined and a bass player came in and we had a pretty good rhythm section for the orchestra. We laid a solid, tight, groove. And we played some pretty complicated stuff. Lots of songs in Eb and Bb and even Ab now and then. It was a great learning experience and I became quite proficient at playing the chords required in those songs. Heck It was fun.

The MM would come up with various musical projects to present to the church from time to time. Some were good, some were not. At least from a guitar player's POV. In other words, some didn't need a guitar in them at all and this project was one of those.

We were only about a month and a half away from the time this was to be presented and had not yet hit any of the music in our Wed nite rehearsals. So with about 5 to 10 minutes left in the rehearsal, MM says pull out song #3, hits the CD player and plays the first 20 seconds of the song.... then says go to measure 35 and counts it off. Train wreck... says go to measure 65 and counts it off...another train wreck.... says OK... and repeats this with a different song and gets the same results. I didn't play a note... I simply listened since I'm an ear player trying to get a feel for the melody line. Next week, he does the very same thing. And the results were exactly the same.... at this point in time the event was a mere 2 or 3 weeks away. I'm thinking, he really needs to practice on THIS if it's going to sound halfway decent.

So the following week, same thing.... last 10 minutes of rehearsal, he says pull out the special music. Hits the CD player.... so I very quietly put my guitar in it's case, shut off the amp, and leave the stage and head up the center aisle to the exit doors. The music stops, and I hear the MM say, over his mic... "Herb, you think you're too good to play this music don't you?" There was about 15 people on stage and about 25 church members in the auditorium getting ready for the next class in there, and he says that.

I turned around and said... "Call me tomorrow and we'll talk".... at which point he actually repeated it again. I kid you not. I simply said "Call me tomorrow" and walked out the door.

Next day, no call but an email telling me NOT to come to play on Sunday until "we can talk". A meeting was set up and I was surprised to find out that it was in the senior pastor's office. He had been the MM when I first started playing as the only guitarist. Long story short.... the MM slides a piece of paper across the table and says these are the conditions you must agree to in order to remain with the music program. He had them numbered. There were about a dozen conditions. I read them , placed the paper back on the table and asked him one question. I asked, Have you given these requirements and conditions to everyone else in the music program as well? Deer in the headlights look from both of them. MM finally says, uhhh, no I haven't. I replied as I slid the paper back across the table to him, "If you haven't given these to the other members with the understanding that they are also to follow these condition, why do you expect me to follow these conditions? That is blatantly unfair, is it not?" The senior pastor said, he has a point.

I pointed out that all the musicians and singers were 100% volunteers. We would play and sing when we could. I would be willing to play as I had been doing. Was there any problems with my performance levels? no... then what seemed to be the problem with me continuing to do as I had been doing? no answer.

Needless to say, the meeting didn't end well since the MM refused to back off of the conditions. Funny things was I was at all the rehearsals ...98% of the time. The same thing could not be said of the drummer or the bass player.... so they had no clue about what happened until others told them why I wasn't there on Sunday.

And so ended my time with that church orchestra.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.