Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Yep you're right Herb, as I play up the neck they go of tune, so must try to change them a little more often.

I have an old ES 335 copy which doesn't hold the tuning very well, even though I have put on Grover machine heads and got it setup by a luthier. I have put it down to either the wood in guitar reacting to room temperature or me being a bit heavy handed when playing it without using an amp.

The Martin custom light strings I use on the acoustic are very inexpensive, but don't know if using cheaper strings is a false economy in the long run.

Now for some string changing......Thanks for the Sweetwater link Bob.

Musiclover

regarding the ES-335 .... He's a band story. I played in a band with another guitarist. He had a really nice Strat (the real ones, not the import) and I had my Gibson SG. We'd both have new strings, properly stretched, and tuned with my Conn Strobetuner. 2 guitars in perfect tune.

Into the first song, I'd often see him checking his tuning with his inline tuner. And this would go on all night. My guitar on the other hand kept perfect tune all night. I'd check it anyway to tweeze it before each set.

I asked him about the guitar he had and the apparent tuning issues. He'd taken it to a luthier to have it set up and checked and it came back supposedly perfect. That night, same deal.

So I suggest that we swap guitars for a set. I'd play his and he, mine. Wanna guess what happened? If you said that now my SG was having tuning issues... you'd be right...and his Strat with me playing it kept perfect tune for the entire set.

It was his hand technique and pressure that he was using. He was subconsciously pushing or pulling the strings and making them sound out of tune. Once he was made aware of the issue, he was able to work on it and develop a lighter touch and the tuning issue disappeared.

Good information there Herb, Thanks,

Even though the ES335 is a semi solid and will sound a little louder than a unamplified solid guitar, thee is no point in playing it, as if it was an acoustic and playing harder just to get it to sound louder.

Maybe a lighter touch in future (not that I play it that often)

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 01/24/17 11:14 PM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile