Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Notes, my main observation is that these days, music teachers are typically local musicians who have no day job, and they teach SONGS, not music. Not the way to learn, in my opinion. Learn music. Scales, key signatures... THEN learn how to finger tap and play those awful Van Halen solos that had no message and were just an exercise to see how many notes he could fit into his 32 bars.

Some music teachers today are like that. But around here there are a some still like myself that teach music, i.e. old school. I teach reading music first, single notes to start with then chords. Then I teach the pentatonic scale and how to play the blues. Along with that I teach how to form a major scale from a chromatic scale followed by how to learn the notes of a chord from those major scales. Then scales and advanced fingering techniques.

I have had great success using that formula. But I tell the student right up front if you think you are going to be playing like the guys you see or hear on TV or radio in a couple of months you might as well quit now.

Ed I agree totally with you on those shredders. Why play as fast as you can if you ain't saying nothing?

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware