Hmmm, my laptop is an HP (not Elitebook) from a 2011 vintage; however, I had to downgrade it to Windows 7, since the Windows 10 anniversary update rendered it unbootable (after Windows 10 had been working fine since it was publicly released) and I didn't have time to troubleshoot the problem (lost of folks on web apparently reported the same problem).

Anyway, I did try it on my HP desktop, using the internal sound card and the volume was consistent, now matter what I was playing.

Did you ever try to "normalize" your MIDI volumes (I think that was available in your version). Set it to 110 or 120 and see if that helps. I'm not at my machine right now, but I think it's under Preferences, then in the "Arrange" tab.

Also, have you tried several different styles? Some styles are much quieter than others. MIDI normalize will help level out all the styles. It doesn't make all the volumes the same, but basically it raises the MIDI velocity (which affects volume) center. So, if all the MIDI data was defined to play at a velocity of between 44 at 64 (which allows for some dynamic variance), then the MIDI center is around 55. If you then set MIDI normalize to say 85, then the MIDI velocities are adjusted to play in the range of 74 to 94, making it louder, but still preserving dynamic range.

By the way, this was one of my suggestions many years back that was implemented by PGMusic.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com