That particular "country rock only" band was short lived and filled with strife. Talk about the proverbial "poor musicians"... we embodied that. I remember setting in my living room bundled up in coats, because I couldn't afford heating oil for the furnace, learning yet another non-danceable country rock song.

After that band broke up, I was hired into a working band that drew large crowds everywhere they went and we played a wide variety of music. The drummer at the time didn't sing but had a mic and the gift of gab so he was constantly talking to the audience and pushing the bar specials between songs. I could afford to heat my home, pay the rent on time, and eat regular meals.

Everyone was having a good time, the place was packed and the feeling was contagious. The owner was happy with every ring of the cash register and paying customer so things were good.

If people had a special request and we even halfway knew the song, we would attempt to play the song and most times it came out just fine. we'd start by saying "we really don't know this song but we're going to try it anyway..." and even if the song was not perfect, the person who requested it always, always appreciated that we attempted it for them. Most often the requests were songs that everyone knew and were often on our songs list anyway.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.