JFord: <<A lot of the style information used be in a file called BBW.LST. I believe they do it differently now>>

Yes, I think you're right. I examined this file and A: It does not contain all styles and B: It does not tell you which instruments are available for each style.

<<StaffsLebowski: Maybe this memo is stored in a separate file as it's not included in the export. JFord: That would be something PGMusic would have to answer. >>

I've sent an email to Support, I'll see what they say and post back their answer.

If I can export the StyleList and have all asscociated Tracks listed with that Style, that would be useful (to me). It means I can look down at Styles and Track/Instruments from a 'birds eye view' which gives me a clearer picture of Styles and Tracks. The uses for this information is, useful in many ways.

Matt Finley: <<This is just a guess, but I suspect the information you seek is in the ST2, ST3, STX and XT2 files. As John said, they are not text files and there is no editor for them.>>

I've also taken a look in those files and I can't see the information, as you say, no editor.

<<By the way, since you are studying how everything works, this is some basic info about the song file types, from FAQ #85. >>

Thanks Matt. I did come across an earlier post of yours that explained this. It's been filed accordingly and to be digested!

Mario D: <<I would bring the whole track that has the 2-bar section that you like into your DAW.>>

Thanks for the suggestion. That's the next thing I will try.

rharv: <<As mentioned by others; try Realband>>

I was hoping I could avoid RealBand. I've invested a substantial amount of time into MixCraft and was hoping I didn't have to learn another DAW. However...

<<Realband acts much more like a DAW but retains the BiaB generating features.>>

OK, that sounds a compelling argument to give it a go!

JFord: <<BIAB has always been designed such that it gives you variations each time it plays, much like a live musician would.>>

Which finally brings me full circle to JFord's comment. If I were a producer cutting a record, I'd say "Hey, that variation's great, but, can you please stick to the one riff that I like?". Naturally it's great to hear variations but eventually you find something you like and you want to stick with it.

For sure, the phrase I want is only 2 bars. I need it to last 4 bars. So, maybe this is the workflow:

1: Create a 2 bar song
2: Freeze the track (to keep the correct variation)
3: Export to a DAW
4: Copy/Paste to make 4 bars
5: Bring it back into BIAB

(NB: No need to answer this one, this is just me working it out in my head..)

Which brings me back round again to one of my previous posts (and this thread in general) which is, it'd be nice to be able to 'see' where things are and how to identify and isolate them so you have true control over the various aspects aspects of your composition.

Thanks again everyone for your contributions.

Staffs Lebowski..

Don't force it, use a bigger hammer..

BIAB 2023 | STEINBERG UR22 | RODE NT1 | GRETSCH G5420T | REAPER DAW
WIN 10 PRO 64-BIT | OFFICE 365 | INTEL CORE I3 3.30GHZ | 12GB RAM | 2 X 2TB HDD