Ah, if it's VST only, count me out.

I like hardware MIDI instruments better.

Someday VST will equal what I can get out of hardware, but that day isn't here yet.

But whichever VST you end up with, remember it's about emulation.

Think of your music as am impressionist thinks of the person he/she is 'doing' and you will be on the right track.

Start by synthesizing your home instrument. You know it best, you know it's nuances best and this will teach you how to get nuances out of your synth.

Then stretch out from there. Take one instrument at a time.

I started on clarinet. Since Sax is my home instrument, since I never learned clarinet and since being a single reed instrument the nuances are similar to sax nuances, it was a logical start. That was back in the 1980s. I simply added instrument after instrument until I got pretty decent on one, then added the next.

One thing it taught me was how to listen to other instrument, and this increased my understanding of musical performance in general.

Being able to imitate an instrument I can't play is a lot of fun, even if the limitations won't let me do it 100%.

And I often play synth sax on the gig. Why? My synth sax will do things my acoustic sax will not do, and my acoustic sax will do things the synth sax will not do. So like a pianist might reach for a Rhodes when appropriate, I'll reach for the synth sax.

Have fun on your musical adventures.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks