Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Tell a good story that evolves through the song. What a particular word may mean in the future should be the last of your worries.

And it's not a worry. I'm talking about what a word means NOW...as in, NOT the future!

I'm seeing recent lyrics being written on the forum using words from decades ago where the meaning of the word has changed since then.

That was my point...although frequently lost somehow.

I guess, not my problem wink Life is good by me. I've said my peace smile

I think it might be a matter of why the song was written a particular way, lyrically. Di and I write quite a few songs that are meant to sound like sixties rock and forties big band. We try to write them as they would have been written at the time, both lyrically and musically. Some of the sixties rock lyrics are pretty cheesy by today's standards and used a vernacular/vocabulary reminiscent of the era of the song. Also, the same word can mean something different in varying geographic locations. I'm originally from St. Louis. Since having moved to the South, I've heard expressions used down here, quite frequently, I've not heard in the Midwest in years. The culture in some parts of the country, including language, doesn't change as quickly as it does in other areas.

That said, I do agree that some songs that are contemporary do use some dated terms. But it doesn't matter all that much to me. Just tell me a good story with some decent licks behind it and I'm okay.

Wishing you the best,

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops