Originally Posted By: Noel96
Dan,

If you have the tune happening, what I'd do is as follows.

1. Find a concept that I'd like to use as the song's story line.

2. Write out that story in essay style (around 160 - 200 words).

3. Take the above prose and divide the ideas into the sections of your song. For example: Verse 1 ideas, Verse 2 ideas, Bridge ideas.

4. Map the themes of these sections against the melodies that you've written. (This is probably the hardest part of all since it requires thinking of language in terms of a jigsaw puzzle and getting the right words to do the right job.)

5. Now ask yourself, What common theme links these three sections... that theme will be the chorus, if your song has a chorus.

My views....
I agree with the approach above.
Back in 1975 my college songwriting class suggested this process....especially if one is just starting to write song lyrics.
It takes practice.

Personally, I don't really use that approach as I'm able to write in lyric form from the beginning of a new idea.
During the writing process it can be very easy to lose sight of the original song subject/context and start writing verses that don't relate to each other.
It takes me several re-writes to get the lyrics to flow lyrically/phonically with the music.....and to my particular satisfaction.

OP....good luck with your endeavor.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 07/09/17 07:03 AM.