Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

I agree with Eddie about music being generational.

Wait... what...? We agree on something??? LOL!!

I think the perspective here is in the question more than the answer.

Is the good TO YOU music dying away?

My tastes were always toward the strong vocal groups and the songwriters. I love The 4 Freshman, The Beach Boys and the 4 Seasons because they were such amazing singing groups. I really dig the older school writers like Cole Porter and George Gershwin, but that was my father's music. My fascination with writing started with The Beatles and the Beach Boys. That led into my fascination with production. When you think about the now somewhat primitive equipment that Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper and Pet Sounds were made on, it boggles the mind that they pulled it off. Now with unlimited tracks on Pro Tools.... you record one verse, one bridge, one chorus and then copy and paste it together.

These days, the production is slick, slicker than ever in fact, but for my taste the substance is not there. When music became more visual with the dawn of MTV, (Video Killed the Radio Star) the focus became more on what people SEE. I doubt we'll see another "God Only Knows" or another "Warmth of the Sun" or "Good Vibrations" or "Fool on the Hill" and so forth. That's not the end game of songwriting anymore. But to someone who liked Black Eyed Peas, "I Got A Feeling" is a classic.

So yeah, the good TO ME music is gone. I recently got Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin, and to me it is magic. Brian is like 76 now and still has that "arranger ear". He weaved Rhapsody in Blue in and out of those songs like he was creating a musical serape. I like some groups like Imagine Dragons, Bon Iver and a few others, but the mainstream stuff does not thrill or interest me. I take note that festivals like Lollapalooza, all the newer, younger acts play during the day, but at night? Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.