Originally Posted By: Slick Salmon
But, I don't understand why you can't output directly from your laptop to the Sonos speakers. They're bluetooth, aren't they? I've got a similar Bose Soundcloud II speaker and use it the same way for exactly the same purpose.

I'm not a technical person, but my laptop doesn't recognise the sonos speaker as a bluetooth device. AFAIK, Sonos speakers are designed to connect only with an internet connection. There's quite a bit of discussion about it on the internet and many users have been quite miffed that they can't use their computer directly as an input device to the speakers. You have to go through the sonos APP which recognises the speakers and can then stream your music through their program. But the sonos app doesn't recognise BIAB files as "music", so they have to be converted to .wav or .MP4 before they can be played, which I did, but then you can't adjust or alter the backing track while practising or playing.

There is, I understand, an open source program for Macs that gets around this, but I believe it also causes and audio delay, so I didn't try it out.

Bottom line is I would caution against getting a Sonos speaker if using BIAB, although I'd be interested to know if anyone else has managed to make them work directly with the BIAB program.

Equipment: Yamaha 5'6" grand piano. BIAB for Macintosh 2017 --> 2020. MacBook Pro. Focusrite 2i2, Yamaha YC 88 keyboard

"Why do I have to go to school, Grandad? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything!"
- Grandson #3