Coyote Forte uses sounds based on the Giga format (Mac on the forum used to champion it, although, like soundfonts it is a dead technology because it was sold off by Tascam to Gary Garritan, but to the best of my knowledge, no further development was done. In fact, he even replaced some of the Forte sounds with his own Giga sounds and it basically worked as long as they weren't too big.

The CoyoteWT does nothing but give you a DXi wrapper for the basic MIDI sounds that come with a Windows computer. They're not very good, but it lets you hear your General MIDI music without having to buy any other sound library source.

The Coyote Forte isn't stellar, sound-wise, but it is definitely better than the CoyoteWT, and for $40, it's worthwhile having it in your music toolbox if for nothing else than the convenience of a decent sounding multi-timbral GM sound set.

There actually aren't very many GM sound libraries that automatically select the instrument based on channel and patch number (most require you to set it manually), so it's worth having something like Forte.

I also have the Cakewalk TTS-1 (which is more difficult to get now that Cakewalk has ceased operations), as well as the SynthFont VSTi (which allows you to load a GM soundfont and use it as a GM sound source...it behaves like the Forte and the TTS-1).

There are a few more to choose from (I think Larry Kehl previously posted the mostly comprehensive list a while back), but not much more to choose from.

When you get it, you'll have to enter your serial number, so the first time you want to use it, be sure you are running BIAB as administrator; otherwise, it won't properly write the authorization information to the Windows registry. As i recall, when you enter the registration code, you'll have to hit the OK button twice for it to register (the first time looks like it doesn't do anything; the second time takes it an closes the dialog box).

Also, remember, the Coyote Forte is a DXi, not a VSTi, so don't try to load it as a VSTi by selecting the DLL file. It won't work. Once you install it (install it as admistrator), it should automatically show up as an available DXi synth in BIAB.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com