Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Oh, I love those old metal Otto Links. The old fat sound. Nice.

It's an 8* with the NY chamber. Big sound for rock and blues. I've got a hard rubber 6 which works well for jazz (slightly Getz-ish) but it's been decades since I've had it on either of my saxes. I used to have a Link designed Babbitt for my alto, but a repairman broke it while replacing a cork. Too bad because they have become collectors items.

The sax is a MacSax Classic (Austin TX) and it's a custom build for me (Taiwan). As far as I know there are at least two others who liked mine so much that they got the Notes Norton Model.

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
It's great to see that a band such as yours has been able to adapt and keep delivering over such a long period of time.

It's called survival of the fittest (those that can adapt).

I've always figured that if you are lucky enough to be on the bandstand long enough, the people will tell you what they want to hear.

When we started "The Sophisticats" we targeted the then old person's market because we could do songs from "The Great American Songbook", by Harold Arlen, Duke Ellington, Jimmy Van Heusen, Richard Rogers, etc. We'd mix our favorites with their favorites like the Glenn Miller, Isham Jones etc. But before long the new members started asking for Elvis era songs, then Beatles. Fast forward to now and it's Clapton with a few contemporary cross-overs.

On our weekly Tuesday gig we get a wide variety of people, so we can play a little light jazz, lots of oldies, classic rock, some Caribbean (both Latin and Afro), a bit of country, a decent dose of blues, a tad disco, a bit of Broadway, and anything else that comes to mind. It's nice to be able to put on different musical 'hats' and go from a Reggae song to a Standard to a Rock song or whatever and don the attitude that each one need to be expressed properly.

BTW, since the issue is "The Best Of The Treasure Coast" and we are the only band in it, we have had a lot of people come to see us that are new faces, a few additional bookings, and a couple of dozen people asking us to autograph our picture in the article (which was totally unexpected).

The two venues mentioned in the article got additional business due to their mention, and that's good for job security. But we've done the marina for 10 years now and the resort for 3 or 4 so I'm not really worried about job security, but I know that whatever is good for these venues is also good for us.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks