Some time ago I say a TV piece on a self tuning guitar, they demostrated some very strange things. Not only did it re-tune itself to various open tuning in fairly quick time. The guitarist had it retune itself while he played, he had it set so it tuned the top 3 string while he played the bottom 3 and then he shifted postions and played on the top 3 while it returned the bottom 3. I must confess I was not paying close attention to see if the tuning of three and then three moved things out of tune while he played, but if so it did not jump out at you.

The idea was that instead of carrying one guitar for each open tuning you just had the single guitar re-tune itself. Made me think though. If you have ever played open tuning in front of a live audiance, and if you were limited to one guitar, and if you were in a noisy room with poor monitors you will apprecate how nice it would be not to have to retune between songs while trying to look cool, keep a patter with the audiance, and keep track of what tuning you were going from and to.

Yeah, I guess science is something.

PM