Originally Posted By: Westside Steve
...... even had the program going till it got hinky, closeout restart and the drive is gone again ..... WSS
Weird. I begin to think that it's a hardware fault.

1) Check with an other USB cable first, even if it worked earlier.

2) If not, UNINSTALL all USB devices & USB hubs one by one by right clicking on them from Device Manager, see picture. Windows reinstalls them automatically, and it might be clever to do that in Safe Mode. There's also a tool for that, freeware, USBDeview. Recommendable and good for trouble shooting any USB stuff.

PS What type WD drive do you have, the small WD My Passport USB 3.0 as PGmusic stuff comes with? I have a few by now since they first came out; never had an issue with them. BUT they use 5V power from the USB bus on your computer to get them working, usually a weak point with laptops. In the BIOS of your computer there's occasionally a switched 'off' option to appoint a USB port to have extra power for (charging) external devices. Set that to on if you can. When you use a laptop and TWO USB external drives (??), it might be advisable to get a powered USB universal switchox in between. I have a cheap one, 15$ from china, came with a power supply, actually never needed it for these WD's though, but might with a laptop. WD sells them too: WD 3.1 hub

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
USB device manager.jpg (110.9 KB, 111 downloads)