Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Maybe I am thinking this wrong...
If it was up to me... What if you choose your real tracks, assuming to the bin (mixer). Program renders them to a lower quality "temp" files that is enough to work out the idea/sketch. For example, original files 100megs Temp low size files would be something like 10.

Having to render a lower quality files will make rendering process to much (MUCH!!) faster with option to render full weighted song. Meaning all the changes you make are just "changes" that will be saved to be used with small size temp files or with original files. This was the approach Adobe took in their video editing software Looooooooooong time ago.

And of course it should be possible to render just "selection" of timeline when working with full size files. just my 2 cents smile

Rustyspoon#,

I believe the assumption behind your thought is incorrect. RealTracks are stored in *.wma or *.wav formats for Windows and *.MP4 or *.aiff for Macs. A slight gain in rendering time, but a large reduction in storage space, can be achieved by converting compressed *.wma or *.MP4 RealTrack files to uncompressed *.wav or *.aiff files. In fact when RealTracks were first introduced some users converted their RealTracks to reduce rendering time. However even back then users acknowledged the time gain was very small.

RealTracks have a sample rate of 44.1Khz and a 16 bit depth irregardless if they are wav or aiff files. There is no simpler file format for PG Music to use.

Presently Band-in-a-Box does not have the capability for a user to select a track, highlight some bars of a song and then ask the program to come up with a different arrangement (rendering) for the highlighted bars. RealBand, a companion program that ships with the Windows version of Band-in-a-Box, has a feature that performs that function. The name of the feature is "multi-riff".

RealBand is not available for Mac users so they do not have access to the multi-riff feature. Many Windows Band-in-a-Box users are not comfortable using RealBand. That's why the idea of adding the multi-riff feature to Band-in-a-Box has support from both Windows and Mac users.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home