David, I think Buddha is a better choice for me.

jazzmammal,
my issue is that while assembling a backing track in BIAB I spend about 50% of time waiting on regeneration and slow GUI. So if a backing track normally takes me 3-4 hours to assemble, it takes 6-8 in BIAB on average. Freezing
or not, it happens for 2 reasons:

1)Old code that is responsible for lag and slow GUI (yes, I read most of the looooong post that pipeline posted for me)
2)tracks regeneration is happening from source, not from/in RAM.

I estimate that with all the technique available, I can reduce "dumb" time by 10-15% but it is like eating aspirin if your tooth needs a root canal.

Sadly, at this time, I doubt anything substantial can be done about it. I guess the best approach would be just wait and check by the end of every year to see if patient had improved or...not.

A few comments to your points.

"old stuff, been discussed to death" - Means there is an active issue.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"it's not needed and would do nothing for overall functionality" - That one I do not agree completely with.
----------------------------------------------------------
"Peter's calculation"- for established users maybe his calculations are correct. For new blood... I do not know many people who would "start" using 32 bit Delphi program in 2018. Not that I care, but I do as this will impact development in the future.
------------------------------------------------------------