I was actually hoping to hear the vocals as they were recorded when I clicked play. Maybe a side-by-side demo of that with the vocal track as it was mixed would have been more instructive, but I doubt that's why they did this.

If you really listen to Johnny Cash's late recordings, there's no doubt they were processed in some ways. Even the early recordings were, way before digital, if in no other way than by the nature of the analog devices available to them.

No human voice with much backing sounds "good" recorded, though I agree this is something of overkill and not what I'd be trying to do with my own particularly ugly and hard to mix vocals. I just think they used good practice. I prefer a delay over a reverb, for example, but when you listen to the full mix, it's not overpowering. They made their choices, though it's not really my favorite way to hear vocals either.

There's some instructive value in that. Ramping up the FX is how you learn what they do. Finding the sweet spot is more subjective. For the most part, I think they succeeded within their genre and for their audience even though I'd rather listen to Johnny Cash.

Last edited by Tangmo; 09/24/18 04:26 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground