Bob,

Often when this sort of discussion is going on here, the words "Anti-American" are written down as a reaction on a poster that was criticising USA gouverment policy. It seems like no non-USA citizen is allowed to disagree with or critisize any USA-related subject without being called a USA-hater.

In the your post that I quoted you degraded Europe to a todler that needs to be babysit by the USA. This may come as a suprise to you, but that is very insulting!

Now, back to the original topic (sort of)
Where I live gun-ownership is rare: Only people who practice sportshooting and have at least been a shootingclub member for a year can apply for a permit to have a gun at home. The gun must be stored in a gun safe. Ammo and gun are to be kept seperate. Only semi-automatic weopons are allowed.
I do not have nor do I feel the need have a gun in my house.
If I lived in the USA I might feel different about that. As a matter of fact: reading the posts by some forummembers I defenatly would have a Glock under my pillow!

So, it all boils down to situations. What's the right thing to do in one location/situation doesn't have to work for another place/situaion.