I'm looking to replace my old, but excellent, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro 12-channel mixer. I bought it back in about 2001 and have used it for mixdown and recording with my DAW only. I'm looking to replace it with a mixer of similar size, but I'd like to get one of the new ones with onboard 24-bit (or higher?) effects and, most important, a USB out. Having the USB out will simplify my DAW's configuration.

When I bought my Mackie, I didn't realize it was an "economy model." But so it goes -- I have a certain budget I have to work with and I want to find the best deal within my budget -- which is about $250. So I guess I'll be looking at "economy models" again. Funny, when I read through the manufacturers' descriptions of these mixers, it sounds like they're the best things since the invention of the microphone as they run through lists of breathtakingly good specs. I know that one way to get to the bottom of the quality issues is to read reviews at Amazon, Guitar Center, and other sites. But it's a time-consuming and often confusing process.

So, first off, I began by looking at the Mackie ProFX12v2, which has all of the above and, typical of a 12-channel mixer, has only 4 separate channels and 8 shared channels. I won't bother mentioning all the other specifications here. I'll assume, for the sake of this thread, that you're probably already at least peripherally acquainted with the mixer.

Next, I took a look at Behringer models. One thing about Behringer is you always get more for your money, so I'm looking at the XENIX X1832USB. Despite its name, it has only 6 separate channels and 8 shared ones, for a total of 14. I can't find the other four that are intimated by the mixer's name, just by looking at photos. The Behringer has the same basic features as the Mackie -- onboard 24-bit effects and a USB out.

I also have looked at the Yamaha MG12XUK, which is much the same as the Mackie in terms of features. 24-bit effects and USB out. It doesn't have as many ins/inserts as either the Mackie or the Behringer has, though.

I've also heard the Soundcraft Signature 10 is good, but you're only getting 10 channels, at the higher price, same as the Yamaha. So it seems as if the two more expensive mixers also offer the least amount of features.

I understand that, nowadays, everybody's electronics gear is made in China, and what matters now is how closely the mother corporation keeps tabs on its Chinese manufacturing facilities. The more closely things are monitored, the better the resulting quality. At one time I regarded Behringer products as suspect because they were made in China and so much cheaper than their competitors'. But that was before I bought a couple of Behringer rack-mount effects -- a compressor and a multi-effects processor. They both have done an excellent job with no problems at all. And now that this Mackie is made in China, well maybe they're not that too far apart. I dunno where the Yamaha is made, but I suspect it is built in China also.

If we look at price, the Behringer has the best deal -- about $228, I'm finding, whereas the Mackie is $249 and the Yamaha is $299. The Soundcraft 10 is $299 also.

Basically, I'm going back and forth between the Mackie and the Behringer. The Behringer has the obvious advantage of 6 separate channels compared to the Mackie's 4. But there is a host of other differences as well. And then, of course, there is the matter of reliability, longevity. Well, my Mackie 1202VLZ Pro hasn't missed a lick, but neither have my Behringer effects. I think what it's gonna come down to is the quality and quantity of each mixer's components, like "headroom," EQ style, number of inputs/inserts/outputs/auxes, etc.

So is there anything else I should consider? Or possibly another mixer that might have equivalent price and features? And lastly, since it seems that my choices have been narrowed down to the Behringer and the Mackie, which would you choose?