Originally Posted By: jcland
So what you are saying is that if I have channel 1 going to an electric guitar, channel 2 going to an electric bass and channel 3 going to a vocal mic all at the same time, the result would be 3 totally separated tracks (wav, mp3 or whatever) on the thumb drive all at the same time?

Yes. If you decide to purchase a mixer with USB, select a multitrack recorder rather than a stereo recorder. I have a Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK that will simultaneously record more than 20 tracks into a computer DAW through USB. It will return the tracks to the mixer using USB. The mixer is analog but has great digital Fx's and also record a stereo mix. It allows you to record without latency. Use the effects of the board and the physical faders and buttons of the board, the meters and the routing options without need of any of the computer CPU. Another advantage is if you are familiar with analog mixers, there is virtually no learning curve. You also get the advantage of analog summing which is very hot and very common in the recording industry today.

The most cost effective and also what I consider the best package for the money is more than your budget but also takes your home recording, stage recording and effects options light years ahead of where you are currently with the 2001 mixer you're using and very likely worth the investment. Because it's software based, you are also future proofing your setup against antiquating itself.

Check out the Behringer XR18 at street price of $499. It gives you multitrack capability into the computer of 18/18 using USB. It will record a stereo mix to flash drive and can be used as a desk interface or a stage box. The biggest benefit is all the Behringer X series digital mixers share the same X32 OS and software of their flagship digital X32 board. Some features such as the number of preamps, inputs and outputs are reduced but the core architecture is the same across the series. The effects are top notch and professional grade. All the preamps are the same midas design and quality. They are built like tanks and are future proofed because all the faders and buttons are software operated rather than physical the the unit is controlled by IPad/ Android or Computer. These are very versatile and powerful devices and worthy of consideration.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.