Charlie, sorry I missed your post. That Behringer is an interesting looking unit, but the price is a bit steep. I note that there is also a smaller 12-channel version of your mixer, which sells for the same price as the Behringer. I suppose you would recommend it as well.

I'm still trying to figure out the advantage of bringing multiple channels into my DAW's software as opposed to doing the mixing on the mixer and then bring a stereo signal to the DAW. The way my system is configured, I actually output the audio mix from my DAW's soft synth MIDI instruments to my Mackie, where it's combined with the audio signals from the outboard MIDI instruments (keyboard, rack synth, and guitar synth). I then send this mix back into the DAW to record to a .wav file, using my sound card's software mixer to keep track of the ins and outs. With this setup, I have to listen to the mix from the headphones out on the mixer. This has worked well enough and I'm wondering what the advantages are of doing it the way you suggest.

I'm guessing the chief advantage would be that I wouldn't have to export and import mixes, right? I can have everything mixed in the DAW, both internal synths and external modules. I can see how this would certainly simplify things. What other advantages to this method would there be that I'm not seeing?