Hey Charlie, funny you should mention the XR12. I was investigating it at some length last night and you're right -- it seems as if there's a huge amount of stuff that can be done with that compact little unit. One thing I like about it is the app will run on my PC. I don't have to buy an iPad just to run it. Actually I do own an iPad, but it's like become permanently attached to my wife's stuff. I hardly get to use it anymore. Another thing I like about the XR12 is its price -- right where I'd like it to be.

I got to thinking though -- about sheer quantity. I've been browsing through the local Craigslist, and there are several large mixers there and folks aren't asking a lot of money for them. Like a Behringer Eurodesk SL2442FX-Pro 24 channel for $200, or a Mackie 32-8 32-channel for $350 or a Mackie 24-8 24-channel for $200 or a Behringer MX9000 24-channel for $350. So does quantity trump quality? (Assuming all mixers have quality mic pre's of course). That 24-channel Eurodesk and Mackie 24-8, either at $200, sure are tempting.

Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966

First of all....I'm STILL a bit "fuzzy" on the midi thing and I've been using midi devices since 1998 or so.

Well, I've been using them since about 2000. Got pretty good with MIDI configuratioms back then, but then I laid off music production and recording entirely for over a decade. Forgot a lot. Now I'm trying to re-acquire what I let slip away.

Quote:
As far as the 'daisy chaining' my perception is that not all midi devices have the in/outs necessary for the "chaining" to work.

I dunno. I think that's like a fundamental property of MIDI -- least it used to be when all you had were the 5-pin connectors. Like SCSI, it was just part of the way things got hooked up. You have to make sure to complete the chain though. The last device that has an Out going to its In has to send its Out back to the original device's In.

Quote:

The last unit in the midi chain is patched via stereo to one of the 'stereo inputs' on the mixer.

Yeah, that's just straight analog audio.

Quote:
. . . now I use the Midisport 4x4 midi patch bay which may clear up some midi confusion.

I have two Midisport 2x2's. Amounts to the same thing. Only problem I find with them sometimes is the way the instruments are recognized. Say I have a Yamaha keyboard hooked up to Midisport's Channel A. Well, the DAW software sees it as Midisport A, not Yamaha. Fortunately this software has the capability to include a description file so you know what and where all the patches are. But not all devices have description files.

Quote:
MarioD and Mountainside seem to have some good G2 experience with midi.

Good to know. Now I know who's brains to pick when I have questions I can't figure out the answers to.

Quote:

For recording I assign the track output from the 1622FX to the 'Submix out L/R' of the mixer into Delta Input 1/2.
The mixer's sub mix out L/R has (2) faders.
For mixing I route/assign all tracks in the song (I use Sonar X3) to the Delta 1/2 outs.
I only use the Delta 3/4 in/outs for special monitoring which isn't often.

Okay, your setup isn't all that different from mine then.

Mario, the fact that you're using a MIDI hub got me to thinking. Maybe I should look into getting one too. I have a couple of Midisport 2x2s and a Roland adapter, which might work okay, but to be honest, I've had some difficulty getting any of them to work in my DAW. Dunno what the problem is, but I suspect it's a configuration issue. Originally I thought that one of my instruments was defective, but when I had the same problem with another instrument, that indicated to me the problem lies elsewhere. One of these days I'll figure out where that elsewhere is.

Last edited by cooltouch; 01/03/19 10:43 PM.