Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
My two cents.

Over the years, I've noticed that the forum is full of posts about bugs when a new version of BB comes out. It takes a few months for that to settle down. In spite of that, many people rush to buy as soon as the software is available.

So two thoughts come to mind:

1) The software isn't that expensive at full price considering what it does once it gets working properly. So was the discount worth all the trouble you are having?

2) Jford, Noel, the Fogles, Matt and a few others seem to have fewer problems with new versions. I think they know some things most of us don't and that shows in the solutions they give the rest of us. And many thanks for that.

Perhaps it would help the rest of us to study their computer specs and how they set up their files. Do they have a dedicated machine that does not get Windows Updates? Do they turn their wifi off and use a different machine for other tasks such as e-mail? Why are they so successful? Or maybe they just read the instructions more completely smile I don't know what it is, but there is a difference between these folks and the rest of us. I would like to know what it is so I can adopt their practices.

Good questions. I can't promise this is true but my impression is that the others you mention have a similar situation as mine, in that I do not take any special actions for BIAB. My music production computer is on the Internet, has WiFi near it, and does everything else including email and other non-music programs. True, I used to have my main computer dedicated to music, but that was more than a decade ago. One thing that may be different is that I have built all my own computers since the early 1980s.

We do know some things about BIAB you don't, that much is correct. The names you mentioned are volunteer beta testers. We had a chance to run the program before it was released Dec. 1. We also get to test updates before they are released (generally a day or two later). As far as reading manuals, I think that's probably accurate but I've been in the computer field since 1977 (as a comp. sci. professor) and I tend to wing it first, then read the manual. Others I suspect are more orderly than I am, but that's good to have a mixture of learning styles doing the testing. Overall, I don't think we have fewer problems than anyone else. In fact, we intentionally try to discover them so they can be fixed: we try to break stuff.

BIAB 2019 introduced two new features that were definitely out of the ordinary, changing to 64-bit and adding a VST Plugin function. I think this resulted in more problems than usual. However, the program is getting pretty stable by now, and the VST is closing in on meeting people's needs. It's an exciting time to be running these programs. For anyone who doesn't like this kind of excitement, then I agree with the poster above who advises waiting a bit. The sales prices are still in effect for another week. Someone purchasing now, six weeks after release, would admittedly have a better experience than those who purchased Dec. 1. But don't forget, many have been using BIAB without any problems.

I hope this helps a little.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors