Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Of course, knowing some theory is a valuable asset (thank God for the piano lessons) but probably more so is the natural, innate feel, that this is where the song is going next.

Know what's funny there, Herb? What you describe there as "innate feel" IS knowing theory. Knowing the if you are in C the logical next chords will be major or minor depending on what relative step of the scale the are on. Where normally in C, a D, E or A would likely be minor and an F or G would likely be major. That IS knowing theory. Of course there will be songs that move from root to 2 major or 3 major, but in general, 2 or 3 would be minor. So without "knowing theory" but "PLAYING theory" the same thing is accomplished. If you Google "famous musician who can't read music", you will be surprised.

Does knowing theory and reading HELP? You bet. Is it a must have? Nope. If your ear is that good, nope. Anybody can figure out a song. Eventually. But it may take 4 times longer if you have to touch every fret or every key. For me, if I hear a song, I know what key it is in after one bar, but I have perfect pitch. (Well, NEAR perfect as I age...) Not everybody has that. BUT, as you stay at it, you will develop a sense for pitch.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.