Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
Michael,

Let's go to Options - Preferences - RealTracks.

Is "Allow Auto-RealTracks substitution based on tempo" checked?

Also, what's selected as the Tempo/Pitch Stretching Quality?

Also, if you switch to your computer's onboard soundcard's MME driver, does the problem still occur? This isn't meant to be a permanent solution, just a test to see if the issue has to do with the Delta's driver.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

OK, first, I failed to mention this above, but I've been using the 32-bit version of BiaB when encountering these problems. Haven't even tried the 64-bit version yet.

So I played through about a dozen or so pieces that the Melodist created to see if I could reproduce this problem, and there was absolutely no noise. This is with the drivers set to WAS. All the tracks that were sounding just horrible last night sound clear as a bell this morning. So anyway, I checked the above settings. Yes, "Allow Auto-RealTracks substitution . . ." was checked, and the Tempo/Pitch . . . was set to medium. I bumped it up to high to see if I could get it to make any noise. I even left the browser with 15 tabs open (so it was using plenty of resources) and still no noise at all. So next I changed the drivers from WAS to MME. BiaB prompted me for Ins and Outs and I selected the Delta's 1 and 2 channels (like I always do). Didn't make a bit of difference. So next I went ahead and selected the Delta's ASIO drivers -- and finally I got some noise. It was just a couple of light crunchy sounds and they seemed to be transitory. Oh, and the tune I was trying these drivers on is 100% RealTracks. Only three tracks, but still that was enough. I've been letting the tune run for several minutes now and there has been no return of any noise with the ASIO drivers and with the browser open. (The only two programs running right now are the browser and BiaB.) So just now I decided to push things a bit, and opened another song -- this one has five RealTracks and one MIDI track using Cakewalk's TTS-1 synth -- and once again, it produced some noise when I first began to play the file. But it cleared up after a couple of measures. So, to see if I could get it to produce some noise with this tune, I stopped it and started it again. At first it was clean, then about a minute into the song, it started breaking up a bit. But that cleared up also.

So it seems that my Delta's ASIO drivers are causing some mild and transitory noise now. That's odd. They're rock steady with Cakewalk (by Bandlab).

Then something weird happened. I tried switching back to WAS. Had to indicate the Delta's channels. And after I did that it generated an orange pop-up in the bottom right of the screen. I don't recall the wording now, but it was error 9998. I tried several times to see if it would take the WAS drivers, and now I can't get it to. So I switched back to MME. They seem to be working fine -- for now. I've had to play musical chairs with the drivers before, hope I don't have to again. Odd about WAS though. First time I've ever seen that message -- or any orange message, far as that goes.

I have a question. You know how, in the style picker when it shows a style, it also indicates a tempo range somewhere in the description that it is best suited for? If the break-ups I'm experiencing are because of changing the tempo of a group of real tracks, doesn't that invalidate any sort of range recommendation? However, the fact that the noise has cleared up now, for the most part at least, does make this whole business highly annoying. I mean, I'm glad it's behaving now, but I'm just wondering how long it will last.