I’m listing 2 influences because they are intertwined. The first is my sax teacher Frank Leal with whom I studied with for many years in the mid 50’s. He was a well known musician in the area but also one who had “on the road” credentials. At one time he also directed the hottest rehearsal big band in the area that I had the fortune of playing in. The second person was Allyn Ferguson who the son of the music store owner where I took those lessons so many years ago. Both Furgeson and Leal were members of the group “The Chamber Jazz Sextet” with Ferguson being the leader and composer/arranger. I would hang around after my lessons to hear them rehearse in the back of the music store. They eventually went on to record 3 albums and tour. I took college orchestration class form Ferguson at a time I didn’t even know what orchestration was. He went on to Hollywood where is involved in music for dozens of TV shows, music director for stars like Johnny Mathis, and music director of the Oscars, and the Emmys.
So one, Leal for his tremendous teaching and masterful playing and another, Ferguson for his wonderful musical genius.

Last edited by jazzsax; 02/11/19 08:17 AM.