Originally Posted By: Dave
What is the difference between running using the computer's administrator id and running BIAB as administrator?

Why do I need it at all? Why does BIAB need admin privileges?

Matt's assessment is pretty much accurate.

Even if you are logged on as an administrator, programs only run with standard privileges unless you approve them to run with administrator privileges via the UAC prompt. This is User Account Control, which is a security feature added to Windows several years ago.

Programs need to run as administrator if they need to do certain things like make changes to the registry or copy files to System or Program Files folders.

The Band-in-a-Box *installer* does run as administrator (it associate file types, writes files to Program files, etc.), however the Band-in-a-Box program should not normally need to be run as an administrator. I don't usually run Band-in-a-Box as administrator myself.

However, sometimes while troubleshooting a specific problem it is useful to eliminate the possibility that the problem is a permission issue. For example one scenario that sometimes comes up is that a certain DX/VST plugin might require admin privileges (child processes inherit the privileges from Band-in-a-Box), but I don't think that's too common. There might be some other issues that running as an administrator prevents, but I personally haven't encountered them and don't have a list. It seems to be more anecdotal, that people recommend running as administrator because they tend to have fewer problems on their system...

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 02/13/19 08:23 AM.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.